Links to resources about and activities along the River Avon in Bristol – much more to be added soon. Jump to the categories via the links
- Bristol history
- Enjoying the Avon
- Transport around the Avon
- Know Your Place Bristol and Know Your Place West – a fantastic resource of maps, images and so much more, that you can layer together and overlay, to explore the history of Bristol. I have podcasted about it, with lots more links in the post.
- Bristol History Podcast by Tom Brothwell, on Soundcloud and iTunes
- Bristol Radical History Group – articles, books, pamphlets and events, with a website full of resources
- Bristol Archives – and their online catalogue
- Bristol Regional History Centre – they also run a free seminar series at the M-Shed, at 6pm on the third Thursday of the month between September and June each year.
Enjoying the Avon
- Bristol Ferry Boats public trips, including up the Avon Gorge and to Beese’s Tea rooms
Transport around the Avon
- Bristol Ferry Boats commuter services around the Floating Harbour
- Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways – campaigning for better railways in Bristol, with a website full of history, walks, photos and more. Members include the Portishead Railway Group – and you can find out more about the PRG and the railway to Portishead in this podcast.
- Discover the Severn Beach Line – interactive website and maps to download to find out more about the different stops on the way, including walks
- TravelWest – how to use public transport to get around Bristol and the West of England